Saturday, November 6, 2010

One rainy night at Venkatapuram - Part 2 (last Part)

The cellar was quite wet and windy – the effect of incessant rains. But in spite of this I felt my hands were sweating. Like distant waterfall in the hills that flowed in some zigzag motion channeling through the trees and hillocks, sweat was dropping down flowing through the forest of hair onto my wrinkled and worried forehead, its course of direction disturbed by the over sized black haired twin caterpillars like eyebrows on either sides to my billowed blabber like cheeks. A slight shiver not because of the chillness but a shudder caused somewhere from the left side of my chest spread to all parts of my body like a wave. As I walked to move out as quickly as possible from this state of discomfort I just looked side ways. There was no one but just felt as if some shadow just crossed overtaking me. Before I could understand what was happening that was gone.

Coming out of the cellar of my apartment I was walking on the rain battered and water laden muddy roads of venkatapuram (that’s the name of my area) that had street lights at every step but rarely giving light to the walkers. Looks like the government at last has woken up to the hardships faced by us people that they have decided to lay the cement roads. But the work is still incomplete due to the heavy rains (As usual even if it doesn’t rain) which is also the cause for further hardships with stones and chunks of cements scattered everywhere. From far I could see the Kirana Shop beside one of the dimmed but blinking street light. By the time I reached that shop there was some lady talking to the shop keeper whose back was visible in the blinking light. May be she was the usual customer but quite unusual to find a lady at this place at this hour.

With out looking at the shop keeper, in my own thoughts I asked for my usual brand of marlbrando cigarettes. As I took the money out of my pockets of my T-shirt to pay for the cigarettes casually I just looked at the face of the women standing there. They were the same dug up staring eyes. Some liquid was flowing through her nose, may be that was blood!!! The blinking light made that face even scarier with the hair falling on her eyes. Out of nowhere a small beetle like bug came out of one eye and crawled in the other one in a jiffy. Horrified!!!! I jumped at that very place with a scream that was half shut even before it barely arrived out of my mouth. The words of the shop keeper bringing me back in to this world. He asked me if I needed something else. I looked at his face to give the money for the cigarettes. Where was the face???? That was only a headless body. My heart at once galloped into my mouth at that sight. I looked side ways to see if the lady was still there. She was not there. It looked as if she just vanished in the thin air.

I started running from there towards my apartment as fast as my legs (any athlete would have been ashamed of) could carry my not so lanky body; to be precise the 110 kg burly mass of wobbling flesh covered barely by skin stitched together with muscles laced with loads of fat and supported by the framework of bones (I never felt them). The lift was not working any more. With out even thinking how I would reach my home ascending those stairs (This would be a Guinness World record if I do so) situated on the 7th floor, I ran towards the staircase. As I crossed the ground floor I heard some kind of a hauling sound coming from somewhere. May be it was from the terrace. No!!! That was a cry. Initially it could be hardly heard. But as I kept ascending the steps with descending energy levels the shrillness of the cry gradually increased until it reached unbearable limits.

There with her head bent on her knees on the way to 6th floor with all her air falling from over her head the night gown clad sobbing lady sat on the steps with her hands clasped on her head. The same stink of the dead body could be felt. Blood like stream of liquid oozing from somewhere scattered on the steps. There was silence now with the cry just stopped. I could hear nothing else but my breathing. This was the final step after which my home could be reached. But I have to cross this hurdle. Out of a lot of difficulty I filled my mind with some courage and tried to bypass her in the narrow space between her and the staircase wall.

She suddenly lifted her head with her hair flying over to her back. With screeching sounds like some kind of a bat she caught hold of my leg. In the dim light of the staircase I saw her crusted teeth with some kind of green colored liquid squirting out. With all the strength in the world I kicked her on the shoulder to escape her grasp. She fell on the other side. As I tried to run, my feet fell on the scattered liquid and slipped. I fell with my face downwards. With all force my chin hit the sharp edge of the step and my rest of the body pushed my head in the forward direction to make it skid through the smooth flooring of the stair case only to come to a halt when my head banged in to the wall of the staircase. The whole world revolved around me for a few seconds. My chin now resembled that of a ripped apple slit into two pieces fallen just from a tree. My whole face was ruptured with blood all over. Turning over I saw at the lady. Screeching and squealing intermittently, crawling on the steps and over to my body she brought her scary face directly on to mine, with her snake like tongue hanging……

Suddenly woke up. My whole body was wet covered by sweat. I was more than happy to realize that it was just a dream. I was not on my bed but looked like I had fallen of it in struggle with that scary lady in my dream. It was 3:00 AM. I was alone in my apartment as my parents had left to Ananthapur to attend some occasion. Still with 4 hours to go for the Sun to rise I relaxed on to my bed again.

Triiiiiiiing!!! The calling bell rang. Who could come at this odd hour?? My parents cannot come. Even friends cannot disturb me. May be??? With fear I proceeded towards the main door of my house. I saw through the key hole. Same starring dug up eyes. Same face was looking through the keyhole!!!!!

(The result of a just seen Horror movie with little madness added to it)

No comments:

Post a Comment