Friday, August 19, 2011

When Sauce was a Tomato once upon a time

There was a scream in the kitchen. Expecting some kind of a mishap I ran over. My wife was in a state of shock standing like a statue. I doubted if some sage had converted her into a stone for not adhering to her husband. As Lord Rama stepped on a stone, Ahalya had a second life. Similarly I thought I too should do something like that. Well! I was not so lucky. The reason for the scream was she had forgotten to watch her daily serial and a good 15 minutes already had gone by. She almost high jumped over me to the hall, the place of existence of our beloved idiot box.

1002301th part (not sure about the number of years of its running) of the daily super mega serial of “Kyunki Sauce bhi kabhi Tomato thi” had already started. She breathed a sigh of relief as yesterday’s part was still being shown. Should say this was 15 times slower than the super slow motion of a cricket ball touching the bat. I am amazed at her punctiliousness in covering every part twice (Today’s night part is repeated tomorrow morning) as if there was some kind of exam next day and she had to be the topper by any means. And believe me she is so irritated if she misses even a single dialog or a scene. Nobody is supposed to do any cross talk at that hour.

I am not sure why people are so mad about such serials. I find it very brain damaging, annoying and quite silly. It is even more when I just come home from office and want to relax by watching some nice English movie in our recently bought 32” LCD flatron Sony TV. And I am snubbed every time I request for the remote. Being the broad minded that I think I am I always have to succumb to her requests. I then normally divert my attention to other activities like reading a book or newspaper just to forget the pain of not able to watch the TV. But occasionally I just happen to catch some of the parts.

I just cannot stand the same clichéd characters walking in and out every time you see. Rich joint families (that is so outdated), all the characters clad in such grand costumes and artistic jewelry that a middle class woman would never ever be able to wear even with a savings of life time, innocent looking “bahus” with loads of pancake on their faces, glycerin pouring through their cheeks every minute like a Niagara fall, supercilious “sasu maas” looking down on everybody including their no good side-kick husbands , villainous sister-in-laws showing the “Bahus” in bad light just for the sake of it. The list can go on. In the name of God can somebody please shut these things down?

Anyways now the serial had started. In a marriage scene there was some high emotional drama going on. All the ladies were sobbing because their distant cousin sister, third daughter of their step mother’s daughter whose father had divorced her to marry another (Confused??? Me too, I am not sure if that kind of relation really exists), who was getting married would be leaving them after marriage and their husbands were consoling them. Thinking that this was a third marriage in their family I told my wife that I saw a similar scene a month back. With eyes glued on TV, with watery eyes, almost breaking down unable to bear the emotional scene, she told me that this was the same marriage and was still going on.

I almost fell of my seat!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment